Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Contentment... a learned "skill".....a choice

Contentment is a skill?
When you read the title of this blog, dear reader, do you agree that contentment is a skill? It is.... read my reasoning for a moment and see if you agree.

I have read Linda Dillow's book, "Calm My Anxious Heart." She has assignments in it. One was to list all the positives in your life right now. Once I got started the list went on and on. Actually - you all are one of the biggest positives in my life! Anyway, then she had us list all the negatives. And then this quote followed the exercise - "Two women looked through prison bars. One saw the mud, the other the stars...."

One of the secrets to true contentment is choice. There's that word again - choice. What will I choose to focus my eyes and heart on ???? Will I choose to focus on Paul's faults and annoying habits??? ( of which he only has one - :) Or will I choose to focus on the way that he looks at me.... and the way he took off of work for a whole day to be with me when my wisdom teeth came out last week.... and the way he listens... and the way he looks when he falls asleep in front of the TV... and the way I can cuddle next to him and be quiet and contented.....etc etc etc etc

So precious, beloved readers - practice the skill of contentment. Make the choice. Choose contentment... it is great gain!
Do you agree?


No comments:

Post a Comment